Hiking poles


I have a very expensive set of hiking poles at home. I usually don't hike with poles. I planned on having them included in my Silver City resupply box but canceled them after seeing videos of hikers fording the Gila River without poles.

While in Silver City, Race, who through-hiked the CDT a few years ago, encouraged me to use poles and to shop for a $5 set of ski poles at one of the many thrift stores in Silver City. Bingo! I found a tall set of lightweight XC poles for $4!

Wow - was I glad I had them. They saved me from being swept away more than once. After exiting the Gila Canyon I gave the poles to an RV camper. He was happy to receive them. I hope the poles bring as much reward to the new owner as they did to me. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back on the Trail

Down but Not Out

Leadore, Idaho